Sunday, March 29, 2009

Homer is my homeboy...


Odyssey 

 /ˈɒdəsi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [od-uh-see]
–noun, plural -seys for 2.
1.

an epic poem attributed to Homer, describing Odysseus's adventures in his ten-year attempt to return home to Ithaca after the Trojan War.
2.
a long series of wanderings or adventures, esp. when filled with notable experiences, hardships, etc.


So, the family has returned from our great southwestern trek...scarred yet unbending. 5116 miles of automobile family fun. It was an amazing adventure, but not one I'm willing to replay. Too much time in close spaces reveals things that maybe should be left hidden. Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri. 14 days. Seven states...some of them twice.


I'm more convinced than ever that warmer climes are in my future. Arizona in March is just about ideal, to my way of thinking, and I'm willing to trade the three months of unbearably hot summer for the three months of unbearably cold winter here in Illinois.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am glad the Hooker tribe had a great time traversing the Southwest. And if you migrate, you will be missed plenty here in Central Illinois. But it would give me a place to crash if I did a winter marathon. Welcome home bro.