Thursday, March 3, 2011

ticking away


the moments that make up a dull day...(tip of the Illini cap to Pink Floyd)

Do you ever wonder, truly wonder, how good or bad your fitness level really is? I mean, I've been running semi-regularly since New Years, so I have to be improving, right? Yesterday provided me with answers to both questions and the truth hurts...and so do my hamstrings.

I found myself a little behind the 8 ball time wise yesterday so I decided to condense things. Walked for 5 minutes, and then ran a series of 100 yard dashes. Full out...as hard as I could push. I finished 4...and thought my time on earth was through. I ended the workout with a 10 minute cool down walk at semi fast pace. Today my hammies feel like piano wires and the quads are barking.

Mike Davis and the other Illini seniors might finally be beginning to understand the urgency with which you have to play to succeed at a high level. I hope they finish their careers on a bright note.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Go ILLINI!!!

Sprinting will work your muscles and make you ask for forgiveness the next day. But boy, will you see improvements the more you do it.

nerdrium said...

Keep it up, Hooker! I've given up on the running thing but hope it gets nice out soon so I can start riding my bike regularly. Hope to throw some weights around today...

We ended up not joining the CC again this year (cost-benefit analysis shows it as a huge waste of money, especially for a 9-hole course that isn't challenging, isn't pretty, and has no sand traps).

Alex and I were thinking maybe we could entice you and Zach to get a standing Saturday tee time with us at Oakland? Maybe even every-other-week or something if that works better?

Tony "the big fat loser" said...

@nerdgarden...I don't know about a standing tee time, but we for sure would love to go and play with you guys. I think we're going to get Z a jr membership so that he can play every day since he's chosen to be on the high school team.