Friday, April 4, 2008

4-4-68

Early Morning, April 4, shots ring out in the memphis sky...free at last, they took your life, but they could not take your pride. ( tip of the cap to U2, obviously)

I've been ruminating on something for quite some time now. Why is it that so many African Americans seem so hell bent on destroying their own lives? From the recent report citing the graduation numbers in our inner cities to Chris Henry. From OJ to Michael Vick to the drive by on first street earlier in the week. As about the whitest white dude ever, I can't pretend to see the world through african eyes, but it seems self evident to me that all of these thugs and bangers and criminals are doing the worst sort of disservice to the memories of Dr. King, Marcus Garvey, Malcolm X, WEB DuBois and the other luminaries of the black rights movement. Today's black man has opportunities that his forefathers could only dream about, and it's a damned shame when they don't take advantage.

I once worked for an african american lady here at the U who did, and I'm trying not to use hyperbole, nothing each and every day. After observing her for several months, I asked her if she were afraid of retribution for her months of contributing zero to the operation of the unit. She looked me in the eye and said "I'm an african american single mother. They couldn't get me out of here with a stick of dynamite." Pretty much sums up the issues I have with affirmative action and other "equality" initiatives. She had no interest in being given equal opportunity. She believed she was entitled to her position based simply on the color of her skin....exactly what these programs were obstensively designed to combat.

on the exercise front...I played one on one for about a half hour with mini me last night. I worked up a good lather and had to hit some late threes to salvage victory. It's true...I was very nearly schooled by a nine year old!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Unknown said...

Congratsulation on getting a Brazilian to comment on your blog dude. Too bad there is very little info on it about digital tv and the fact that it is in Spanish. Oh well. Hope the author is female otherwise you've got company...