Tuesday, February 24, 2009

round up....

I try not to criticize my fellow volunteers in youth sports. I know the countless, thankless hours that generally go into these things. However, I find that I have to vent about the schedule at the end of our hoops season, one that was set up by someone who doesn't have a horse in the race, so to speak. This Thursday, we open play in our own tournament at 5 pm. We then travel to Chrisman to play in a second tournament on Saturday, return home for two games on Sunday to conclude the tournament we're hosting, then back to Chrisman on Tuesday and Saturday to wrap up the year. 6 games in 10 days...FOR 10 YEAR OLDS! These kids need to be learning fundamentals...not playing an NBA schedule. To make matters worse, we're playing teams in Chrisman that we've already played twice this year, so it's not like we're getting varied competition or anything. By the time it wraps up, we'll have played 24 games. That's more than the Jr High, freshmen, or JV played. Too much. Way too much.

Here at work, we've started tracking our running distance in a light hearted contest leading up to the Illinois 5k. One of my talented colleagues created a track complete with little "avatars", and we're racing to be the first to complete 100 training miles. I went 1.8 miles this morning.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is there a pool for this 100 miles race? You know me and gambling. I hope you make it to 100 first.

Yes, we talked about your schedule once. Seems like your 10 year olds are playing for college scholarships. It is ridiculus for heir age.

nerdrium said...

You guys and your running make me feel like a lazy slob. :)

It is interesting how the scheduling goes for kids basketball. We were worn out the past two years as well. And driving an hour to Chrisman on a school night? (Then an hour home, of course...).

And I'll keep my comments to myself about what I think of Chrisman's coach. Grrr.