Thursday, July 2, 2009

w3d2 part II


I am not a runner. Never have been, never will be. I plow through my workouts the same way I plow through a case of beer or a plate of ribs...just stick my chin out and go. I've got all the agility of a mack truck and probably as much quickness. That's why I can take a smidgeon of satisfaction from workouts like today. As good as I felt during Tuesday's run, (with good being a decidedly relative term) I felt the opposite today. Couldn't get my wind, quads screaming, calves on fire, minor hangover, the entire litany, which in the past would have led to failure. For some reason, today was different. I don't know if I've crossed some sort of threshold or if it was the presence of my beautiful little princess cheering me on to the finish, but I sucked it up and completed the circuit, and it felt good.
Maybe I can do this thing. Maybe I can run a 5k. Maybe I can actually start to regain some semblance of fitness and set a better example for my kids. I hope so. I KNOW I'm going to keep trying.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It can be done. Do it like the Greeks do it. No, not that way, though... Oh, nevermind. "So it was written, so it shall be so." Those Greeks or maybe they were Romans.

I have faith in you. But remember you are doing for yourself and no one else. That is the motivation you need.

Tony "the big fat loser" said...

I don't know, dude. Intrinsic motivation has never been present...that's why I fail so much. I need the kids, friends, strangers, etc to keep pushing.