Wednesday, January 16, 2013

fire



Living in a small town like I do, I am always struck by two strong emotions whenever I see firetrucks springing into action.

The first is dread, because chances are pretty good that I'm going to know the person or family whose world could be changed irreparably by the flames, and also because fires are dangerous and those guys dragging the hoses into tight spots are my friends and neighbors, which leads me to......

Pride.  You see, we don't have "professional" firemen here in bucolic VG or the surrounding bergs.  These guys are all volunteers.  They're exterminators and teachers.  Truckers and farmers.  Guys and gals who are willing to put their personal lives on hold for the common good and I am proud to call them my buds.  

So give them a big cheer the next time you see them in a parade, tossing out candy with sirens blazing.  They've earned it.



In fitness news, mapmyrun says I went 1.3 miles in 23 minutes this morning.  Not far, but not bad.   

No comments: