Monday, October 22, 2007

...of midway points, turning points, and giving up too many points.


So we had our six week weigh in/measurement Saturday. I'm moderately satisfied with results, so far. I've lost 8 pounds. My BMI has dropped a couple percentage points, I've shaved 1-3/4" off my waist, 1" off my thighs, and 3/4" off my calves. Not stunning, but not bad, especially since I haven't had a very good couple weeks, diet and exercise wise.


In soccer news, Mini me scored two goals, but VG lost their finale' 6-3 to Tolono. The kids played very well, but we had no answer for one player who scored 4 times for the other side. One of my players is autistic, and he played PHENOMINALLY! He was a defender, and he cleared the ball every time it came to him. I was so proud of him. When I singled him out for praise after the game, he beamed. There must have been some dust floating around the field, because his mother, grandmother and I all had watery eyes as we watched him bask in the glory. Overall, this was our best game, and I find myself wishing the season could continue one week after getting so frustrated that I wanted it to be done immediately. Next week is parent child game and field seeding. Can't wait to see 50-60 kids throwing grass seed at each other!


As for the Illini. We've come a long way, but we've got a long way to go. That's the first time in recent memory that we were on a level playing field, talent-wise, with meat-chicken. Unfortunately, youth reared its head in the form of stupid mistakes and penalties, but hopefully we'll learn from them and continue to grow and improve. I still see 8 wins and a decent bowl game, which is hella more than I expected before the season began, when I was taunted for predicting 6-6 with a motor city bowl berth. I hope the team takes Ball St seriously this week. They throw the ball A LOT, and we all know that we're not the most stellar team defending the pass.


VG looked like a team that just wanted the season to end in losing 27-14 to Sangamon Valley. Their late season swoon has earned them a 140 mile bus trip to play undefeated Mt. Olive, so their hopes appear dim.

No comments: