Thursday, March 13, 2008

musings...


So the soon to be former governor of NY got caught with his pants down, and credit card out, apparently. Saw some pictures of the femme' fatale on the smoking gun web site...she's a "would", definitely. When he was AG, he reveled in taking down the big boys, the more publically the better, and now has gotten his just desserts. (even though I am personally rather ambivalent about the whole prostitution is a crime thing)


However, one lesson to be taken from this whole sordid mess is that when someone talks the talk, regardless of the subject, that person had better be ready to walk the walk. This is how I find myself going to umpiring school this weekend. I've been a vocal critic of the manner in which summer rec games have been officiated in the past, usually because of age and improper training, and so I felt obligated to attend the class when the opportunity arose. I probably won't be called on to officiate many games, it's a great way for high school/college kids to make some coin in the summer time, but at least I can stand in if called upon. It should also give me perspective as a coach and help me revisit the rules of the game.


Speaking of coaching...our boys hit the field tonight for the first time. I'm rather incredulous at the prospect of 9-10 year old boys having a season that lasts nearly 5 months, but it is what it is, so we'll have to go with it.


In exercise news, the nerdgardener himself and I have arranged for an unholy cabal of fitness, to convene twice weekly at 5:30 am in his garage, to lift weights. I've come to the point where I'm totally reliant on external motivation, so the thought is that this will get me back into fitness mode.

No comments: