Monday, March 3, 2008

Weekend wrapup...




The three points of the trefoil stand for the three parts of the Scout Oath.

The shape of the Scout badge means that a Scout can point the right way in life as truly as does a compass in the field.

There are two stars on the badge. They symbolize truth and knowledge.

The eagle and shield stand for freedom and a Scout's readiness to defend that freedom.
The scroll bearing the Scout motto is turned up at the ends as a reminder that a Scout smiles as he does his duty.

The knot at the bottom of the scroll serves as a reminder of the Scout slogan, Do a Good Turn Daily.




#1 son and I traveled to merit badge training on Saturday. Left VG at 6:30 and returned home around 5. 550 boy scouts crammed into Holy Cross School. Thankfully, it was very well organized, and the instructors were enthusiastic and knowledgeable. All in all, a great way to spend a saturday with my son. He earned merit badges in computers, fingerprinting and first aid/cpr. Technically, I guess I did too, since I attended all three sessions. I'm well on my way to Eagle scout, apparently.
It's too bad that so many boys view scouting with a jaundiced eye, as something that the "popular" kids would never join. They teach so many values that can be lacking in todays' youth...crazy stuff like personal responsibility, initiative, leadership, and accountability to the group. The best part is that they teach these values while doing cool things like camping, orienteering, skiing, hiking, fishing, swimming and the like. There are also cool topics like the aforementioned computers, telecommunications, space exploration, etc., basically something for every interest. The other thing I noticed was the general lack of parental involvement, especially from my son's troop. It's just my opinion, naturally, but I think parents, especially dads, miss a great opportunity by not accompanying their boys to this and other Scouting events.
Yesterday was the draft for little league. I'm going to help coach Mini-me's team, and it looks like we've got some potential. We're going to have to find some pitching, but that's true of about every team every year. Took advantage of yesterdays' mild weather and went to the park to throw a baseball around. Mini-me wants to pitch, and he's miles ahead of where he was at this time last year.

VGFatdog and I went about a mile this morning, in the rain. It was about 45-50 degrees....great day for a run, and I did 3/1 splits. Down two pounds for the week, Hurray!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is a shame about parents not being involved in their kids life much anymore. I for one, am a parent that could be more involved and yet, still use work and the distance of my kids habitat to let me escape my duty. I am no better than the majority. Hooke you are a fine parent and a great individual. With all you do for your kids, your efforts in bringing your body back into shape, you are an anomaly. And I mean that with the best. I can only hope to be half as good as you.

Tony "the big fat loser" said...

Thanks for the kind words, bud. Be there for your kids. It's important.