Monday, March 10, 2008

Weekend Wrap up


A friend called Friday and offered me 4 great tickets to the Illini game, and I gladly accepted. Took the boss and the sons while the daughter stayed with a sitter whom she idolizes. Went to BW3 for lunch, then bussed to the game. I sometimes forget how rural our childrens' upbringing is. I'm sure that the internet and some of their video games have made them more sophisticated than I was at their age, I was as hick as hick can be until middle school, when I grew up way too fast. However, certain occurances drive home the fact that they have led a sheltered existence. We used a Peoria charter bus for transport from Savoy to the Assembly Hall, and I was amazed at their sheer joy at being on a charter, rather than a school bus. I've posted this before, but I hope the innocence of their childhood lasts for a long, long time.


As for the game...A section, 7 rows from the floor, right behind Tubby Smith. Sweet. The illini made some free throws down the stretch to win a game that wouldn't have been close except for some amazing three point shooting by the Gophers. Television sure changes the ebb & flow of a game. It seemed as though every time the Illini would start a run and the crowd got fired up, it would be time for a tv timeout. That and the style of play employed by the UI insured a quiet assembly hall for great periods of time. Let's please get one win in the BTT. I don't think I could handle losing to Penn St three times in one year. At least Thursday's game is during working hours, so I guess I can't get too loaded.
Took #1 son and a 9 iron out to the back yard for his first swings yesterday. It's tough teaching him the grip and such, since he's a righty and I'm a wrongy, but by the end of the session he was hitting some pretty good shots. The best thing is that they were straight...they didn't travel very far, but they dissected the "fairway". We'll work on the takeaway and all that other golf stuff as we move along. I'm just ecstatic that he's showing interest.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wish I could find the time do keep up on my blogs as you do. You are awesome. I also vote half with Jules and half with you. You don't need the Taj Mahal expansion, but the Abe Licoln addon might not be enough either. Find something in the middle.