Monday, January 5, 2009

On hope....



Hope springs eternal in the human breast;Man never Is, but always To be blest:The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,Rests and expatiates in a life to come. (tip of the Baltimore Ravens Cap to Alexander Pope)

So, with that thought in mind I ventured out into the frosty morning air and completed a 1-1/2 mile circuit at 5:30 this morning. Baby steps, to be sure, but steps that must be taken.


If I were a professional gambler, the kids would be subsisting on mac and cheese and hot dogs after the first week of the NFL playoffs. No way did I see Philly winning at Minny or the Dolts losing to San Diego. I thought Miami had a chance, also. The Cards and the ageless QB that I like, unlike the Jets' franchise killer, were my only clear cut winner. At least I have no emotional investment in this, thanks to the Hamsters of the Midway's brilliant chokefest in Houston last week.

In local sports news, my brilliant basketball coaching career is off and running....VG 5th graders falling to 0-2 in a very lopsided loss to Heritage. I know they're only 10 and I shouldn't care so much, but I feel like I'm failing these kids when they don't have success in games after putting so much effort into practice. So yes, I was up most of the night Saturday, fretting. Trying to come up with a way to make the kids see that the only way to overcome our general lack of speed and athleticism is to out work our opponent. I think that's a lesson that we can all take to heart.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

congrats on the mile point five. More than I got this morning. keep up the good work. it has to be tough on you with the kids but they will make progress and hopefully they will see that.

in football news, I think my Steelers got the weaker team in the second round (actually same for Carolina).